Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Getting Quality Assurance Right!

Last week I shared a list of topics that I wanted to discuss this year. Quality Assurance is the first one that comes to mind and I will focus on that today.

Success in quality assurance or software testing (I think this phrase narrows down the focus of product quality or software quality significantly and I try not to use it – I will talk about this in the weeks to come) does not have to be elusive or even expensive. It takes a few simple steps to ensure that you do it right. Here goes:

  • Have a Strategy – Make sure it covers the “what”, “how”, “where”, “when” and “who”
  • Pick the right tools – These should meet your needs, not vice versa. You are the “Boss”!
  • To automate or not to automate – in QA that is the question.
  • Execution, Execution, Execution – the best strategy and tools won’t help you if you don’t follow through and do the job right.
  • Reuse if you want to reduce – this is a key to keeping your costs low.
You can find more on these topics on the Tripod Technologies, Web site. I will also discuss these points in greater detail over the coming weeks.

Stay tuned…

No comments: